Monday, July 21, 2008

Pitchers - Still Life

Copyrighted ©2008 by Linda Warner Constantino.Oil on linen board 6" by 6" - Click on image for larger view. Click here to purchase.

I am getting pretty obsessed with the blue-green thing. I think it is safe to say. Even in painting landscapes it is the blues and greens that challenge me. I am still trying to stay looser, and a bit more interpretive with my still lifes. With my illustrator background I have a latent tendency to get hung up in rendering. When I start to render too tightly I am committed to a level of detail that I am not really interested in. I like mark making and the vitality it can bring to a painting. I find it easier to keep the brushtrokes lively in landscapes than still lifes but I am working on it.

6 comments:

Mineke Reinders said...

This has such a cool, restful feel to it, lovely. I've enjoyed browsing your blog, Linda, beautiful work!

Linda Warner Constantino said...

Thank you for your comments. As artists we paint what we are drawn to and what resonates for us. It is always nice when it strikes a cord with someone else.
Thanks for looking!

Linda

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

I can't believe this is a little painting! It looks like it'd be much bigger! I, too, love the blues and greens, they're my favorite colors anyway, but they really pull the painting together. Very nice piece.

Vickie said...

This is a very beautiful painting. I love the local colors but the reflected colors make it so lively. I think you did a good job at not getting too hung up on rendering details. It's just right.

FCP said...

I really like your "obsession" with the blue-greens. The brushstrokes on the blue pitcher in front are especially nice and I really like the composition.
Faye

Linda Warner Constantino said...

Thanks Faye,
I used to live in western Alaska where there were very few trees.When I move to the South I was overcome by all the green in the trees and foliage. Perhaps this fed my love of blues and greens.

I quickly stopped by your blog and I am going back, it looks great.I see you love plein air painting too.
I am heading up to Canada in a few weeks to paint with Kevin Macpherson and Michael Chelsey Johnson. I cannot wait.
Thanks for you comments and stopping by.

Linda