Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Lavender in Tuscsny

Lavender 4 by 5 in. Watercolor Sketchbook. © 2010 by Linda Warner Constantino.

Above is my first attempt at lavender that grows among the vegetables at the terraced gardens at Spannocchia. The color is so elusive - it is not really blue and not really purple. I did have to add some white goauche to paint the lavender over the stems. I find lavender to be not only aromatic but dreamy and relaxing. Every time you see it, the color is just so perfect and it kind of takes your breath away.

I have few more sketches to post and then I will start posting the work for my show. I would like to take a moment to express my deep gratitude to Paula Wallace, president of Savannah College of Art and Design for believing in my project and allowing me the opportunity to immerse myself in my painting for almost a month in Italy by granting me a fellowship. I won't deny that the school year is busy with a very divided focus and never have I had such time to myself to create. I cherish it. It was not only being in Italy but it was about being alone and having the time to work without any other demands on my time. It was also about being in the moment and gently directing but also going with the flow of what was happening around me. This is very necessary for an artist. I will never forget this experience. I am so charged and elated about painting. I know my enthusiasm will inspire my students.

One other thing. I have never been much for boredom but I think it is really banished from my vocabulary. There is so much that I want to do and express creatively. Not enough hours in the day.

2 comments:

Catherine A. Moore said...

I love this painting! Especially how the lavender breaks the border.

Unknown said...

I love this painting! Antique Brass Picture Light