Saturday, January 17, 2009

Andrew Wyeth

The passing of Andrew Wyeth hit me with a pang. What a prolific span of creative work! I especially am attracted the way his paintings have a narrative element(often strange and mysterious) as well such strong,dynamic compositions.

I read his biography "A Secret Life" and loved it. I spent some time at the Farnsworth Museum in Rockland, Maine (I missed him when I was there yet I had walk passed him earlier thinking, he is somebody, not sure) and I traveled in the surrounding areas where he painted. The time spent there was transformational for me.

His work was dismissed when I was in undergraduate school studying art history. However, I have always admired his paintings and to see an original is a real experience. He so boldly followed his creative passion.

1 comment:

Charla said...

I was so sad to hear that he'd passed, too. I feel really fortunate to have visited the Brandywine Museum two years ago...his work is really unbelievable in person! I gained an ever deeper admiration for his watercolors, especially after seeing "Christina's World" up close.