Saturday, January 10, 2009

Coastal Discovery Museum

Copyrighted © 2008 by Linda Warner Constantino.8"by 8" oil on gessoboard.

I am not sure but I think this is one of the original homes at the Coastal Discovery Museum on Hilton Head. It is located by the marsh and is part of a homestead donated to the museum.

I painted quickly this day and it is fine line one walks when painting any kind of architecture. In a moment too much detail and too much adhering to perfection seems to suck the life out of the building or makes it look very amateurish rather than simple and painterly. I tried to stay simple and loose. I like the way the sunlight looks on it but I am still chasing the quality of my brushstrokes.

2 comments:

Linda Warner Constantino said...

Natalie Hefter of the Coastal Discovery Museum was kind enough to send me some info about this little cottage I painted. Here it is:

I saw your painting of the Supervisor’s House at Honey Horn – on your blog. It’s really great!


I thought you might want to know more about the building –

It dates to around 1900 – and was originally built to mirror the main house by Mr. Clyde, as a place for the supervisor of the property to live. We took down the wings and took it back to its original appearance earlier this year – if you saw it before, you know how damaged it was.

The future of the building is unknown right now, but there are several ideas in the hopper.

Also – the Town of Hilton Head owns the entire Honey Horn property, the CDM has a 95 year lease.

Glad to know you’ve found some of the beautiful spots around Honey Horn –

Thanks,

Linda

Charla said...

This is lovely!