Saturday, June 05, 2010

Roma = Amor

Adrian's Temple

I just arrived in Rome for my fellowship month of painting in Italy. I have to say sleeping on the plane just never gets any better. Ugh!

I was reading in one of my guides on Rome and discovered that Roma spelled backwards is amor which means love. Most appropriate, I would say.

Once I got to my hotel an took a shower, I headed out to get my bearings and have some lunch. My hotel is midway between the Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain.

I painted a little watercolor study at my outdoor table in a great sketchbook my daughter Summer put together for me. It lays open very flat due to the Coptic stitching she used to bind it.

Believe it or not I forgot my watercolor palette!!!! Fortunately, I have my pan watercolors with me and I found my favorite little art store Ditta G. Poggi located right near the Pantheon.I am like a kid in a candy store when it comes to art supply stores.

I went back to my hotel after lunch and quickly fell asleep for 4 hours. I guess my body was compensating for the 4 extra hours I never got last night. I woke up to a Skype call ringing on my computer! I did not know where it was coming from at first. It was my sister Dona, checking in. Love that we can see each other and talk. It makes it so much better!

I think I will dedicate this week to watercolors and see how it goes. I am going to work 8" by 10" and under. I just love painting in a small format. I do not know why.

I included a photo from this evening of Adrian's Temple lit up. I am loving my new Nikon Cool Pix Camera S1000pj. The colors are significantly better than my old camera.

I hope to be able to post a painting tomorrow. I have this little guerilla tripod that I am wanting to use.

That's all for now. Buona Notte.

1 comment:

Charla said...

So exciting!! I'll be living vicariously through your blog posts. :) Have a wonderful time!