Wednesday, July 21, 2010

More Sketchbook - Rome

Pulcino della Minevera in the Piazza della Minerva - Rome - Watercolor - 4 by 5 In. - Sketchbook

If I did not have my umbrella my decision on what to paint was determined to some extent by where I could find shade. I sat in front of the Basilica of Saint Mary which is considered the only Gothic church in Rome. I could see this unusual obelisk statue designed by Bernini. I used a water-soluable sepia pen to draw it and then hit it with a little water and finally adding some color.

The other inescapable view across the piazza was the bulging Pantheon. It is just so massive. It looked sandwiched between the two younger buildings on either side of it. I was trying to capture its breadth in my little 4 by 5 in format.

View of the Back of the Pantheon - 4 by 5 in. - Watercolor - Sketchbook.

No comments: