Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Artist's Bungalow Garden - Landscape

Copyrighted © 2008 by Linda Warner Constantino. 5"h by 7"w - oil on linen panel.

It is unbearably hot here on Hilton Head and since I got a late start this morning, I decided to paint the backyard of our Arts and Crafts bungalow-style home. There is a lot going on with the foliage. My husband loves to plant and it is very lush! There are a couple of giant oaks that move the shade across the yard. So for this painting I was trying to capture the feeling of the dappled light and shade in a very small painting format. A single brushstroke had to define a whole plant.

In a little over a week I am heading up to Canada. I am taking a workshop with Kevin Macpherson for a week with the En Plein Air Masters Series. I am also painting with Michael Chelsey Johnson for a day. I am getting quite excited. I was so clueless at the first workshop I took about 10 years ago. I think I am very open to learning at this point. Actually, I hope I always stay that way.

1 comment:

donabotanica said...

In spite of the apparent oppressive heat, your treatment of color and light provides a rich retreat.